Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Soothing Socks Upcycle

I saw this project in a craft magazine sitting in a doctor's office for the I don't know how many times in the last few weeks.

I thought I it was a cool idea. I didn't think it would be easy to make and for the family to use.

I first had to find those pairs of socks that didn't have a were hole in it, looked cleaned after washing, and elastic was worn to the point I could sew it.
I found three pair. One pair is not yet finished to be photographed.

As you can see they turned out nicely. The kids size was perfect for ice or heat. Plus, having a name brand of  candy on it, makes it easy to find if the kids forget to put it back in the freezer or draw.




The hardest part of the project was pouring the rice in without making a mess and sewing it shut with rice in it. I could not fill it as full as I wanted too. Though truth be told it was probably a good thing.


The nice thing about these is they don't considate all over you or the sock.
The cover is washable if you have bodily fluid contact.

The cover is softer than a towel or paper towel.

I may put these in the shop upon using brand new socks to make them.

If you like them and want them in the shop, let me know.

The total cost of using the upcycled old socks, generic rice from a local store, and small amount of velcrom was $2.00. In case you want to make them yourself. This is way cheaper than replacing the old chemical ice packs that melt all over inside lunch boxes, a person, or coolers.

For a dh that is trying to save money, he is happy happy happy! 

2 comments:

sweetybird09 said...

Wow neat, I made some of these years ago with some tube socks, they work great for sore necks, you can hang the sock around your neck!

Anne Maskell said...

That is such a great idea! Nice job!